Recently I posted about a German nativity set… the only issue with it is it’s so delicate that it’s not exactly kid-friendly–it’s really meant to site on a mantle, not to be played with. This set, also from, Germany is perfect for little ones.
The carving and hand-painted details are so lovely, but the pieces are nice and sturdy. I love how Mary and Joseph have their hands folded in prayer.
My in-laws have a fun tradition of not putting the baby into the manger until Christmas morning. Makes things very exciting for little ones! Available anywhere in the world from Hocusadabra.
It seems like I’m now on my way from wedding-land to baby-land, so I asked my dear friend and neighbor Kirsten for some reccomendations for great baby gifts from her toy shop Hocusadabra… I always have a hard time with gifts when the gender is a surprise. Read through to enter our block giveaway!
1. BPA-free bath toys. The most important time to use BPA-free products is at bath and feeding time because chemicals leach when the plastic is warmed. The stackers are great for washing the little one and for playing when they’re a bit bigger. And aren’t the tugboats just super fun? Love the colors.
2. Organic Bamboo Hand Printed Baby Wrap: Babies love to be swaddled up and this is the softest wrap ever. Made from 100% bamboo and printed in the sweetest patterns: sampans and cherry blossoms. Perfect for any Asian-born baby or any baby with loved ones in the Far East. The blue satin edging is swoon-worthy.
3. Pram Rattle: A stroller is way too big and too personal of a purchase for a shower gift (unless you’re going in on it with a bunch of friends), but this pram rattle will work with whatever stroller your friend chooses. And it will make sure she never mistakes her pram for another’s! Plus, it makes sweet, little jingle sounds to entertain your little one.
4. Bunny. It is the year of the rabbit after all.
5. Amazing products for mom and baby. These are great little ‘stocking stuffers.’ A cult item on every woman’s lips in Australia, Lucas’ Papaw ointment is made from pure Australian papaw (papaya). Its benefits are endless, cleaning away nasty infections and keeping baby’s skin as soft as it should be, perfect for the nappy area… doubles as the best balm for mum. And the World’s Best Soap is a delicate baby soap made with eudermic oils and enriched with honey, calendula and almond protein. It’s great for anyone with sensitive skin.
GIVEAWAY: Finally, Hocusadabra is giving away this fine set of Count & Stack blocks to one lucky reader. The blocks have numbers one one side and drawings on others that stack up to create rocket ships and trains. I just love the authenticity of wooden blocks. It’s so nice to have something non-plastic, don’t you think?
To enter, leave a comment with your favorite gift to give or the best gift you’ve ever received at showers… wedding or baby showers are both okay. The gift will be shipped to you wherever in the world you are so anyone is free to enter. A winner will be chosen by random.org on July 15th! Thanks for entering.
I’d like to start this post by saying you should know your neighbors! It’s a biblical commandment to love your neighbor and my mom taught me to take this literally–she was always bringing lasagnas to neighbors who just moved in, were sick or what have you.
It’s always comforting to know you could knock on someone’s door if you were in trouble or if you just need a cup of sugar–plus you never know what cool things they could be up to. So it turns out that not only is my neighbor Kirsten adorable, but she also has a very cool children’s toy site called Hocusadabra. If you are a parent in Asia or someone looking to give a gift to a child anywhere, this is a great resource to know about.
Her wooden blocks really captured my heart. In this world of plastic crap, the idea of your child playing with something that will last — and that their children will even play with is so heartwarming.
“Holztiger is a family owned and operated company based in Augsburg Germany. All Holztiger wooden toys are handmade and carved from maple, oak, birch, or beech wood to meet the demand of hard play. For extra safety, all sharp edges have been softened, and all figures are painted with non-toxic, water-based paint. To make the figures more resistant to saliva, there is an additional non-toxic satin-finish topcoat.”
Don’t you think this would be a fun collection to start with a little one? I’m hoping to feature some more of Kirsten’s great offerings in the days to come on HKH. I hope you don’t mind! Have a lovely weekend ahead and, yay!, it’s finally spring here in Hong Kong! This day couldn’t be more perfect. Enjoy.